Sunday, March 28, 2010

YOU ARE JUST A RAT CHASING THE CHEESE

I find people interesting. They are fun to watch and observe. Like a scientists with his lab rats I watch, I listen, I learn and occasionally I laugh. People almost unanimously think they are special and important and they are the only ones who have ever experienced that joy, the angst and the apathy that is the human experience. For the most part people are no smarter than the lab rats chasing the cheese because that is what they are programmed to do.

Most people do not examine their lives and never take a good long look inside themselves to see what makes them tick. The things that are obvious to an outside observer are lost on them simply because they never stop and think about what they are doing, they are stuck on auto pilot and no one is at the control to stop them from crashing. They live from day to day and minute to minute without a clue as to why they feel and act they way they do.

The minute one of them tries to break from the pack they are ostracized and torn down by the other rats. They don’t know why they hate and loathe this person who chooses to be different, who chooses to be other than them they just do. They never stop to think that it is fear that kicks their mob mentality into high gear or that maybe the oddball may have it right. They just can’t fathom why anyone would want to be strange or have an opinion that doesn’t jive with the think of the majority.

What I don’t understand is how the mob mentality can reside inside of these people who think they are special? How can one person simultaneously think that they are the only person on earth who has ever loved that hard or hurt that badly when everyone around them thinks in exactly the same way? I don’t get it at all.

I have always been the odd one out. The person who would rather be alone if the only alternative is to be surrounded by braying sheep who don’t have a single unique thought in their fluff filled heads. Somehow I lost sight of that and tried to conform and it didn’t work out so well for me. I used to write just for me because it made me happy. Then I started to worry that what I said would offend someone or make someone powerful angry with me. Now I find that I simply do not care anymore. I am going to start writing and living to please myself. I am the only one who can judge me and that is the way it should be.

I encourage anyone who finds themselves losing themselves to satisfy the idiot masses to take a step back and look at what you are doing. Figure who you are and what makes you happy and if someone doesn’t like it then that is their problem, not yours. You can’t please all the people all the time and I think it is time that we all stopped trying.

Be yourself. You may not be special, you may just be one speck in a crowd of a million but if even one speck would stand up and be heard then maybe, just maybe, we could start a revolution.

You'll either get this or you won't. The people who need to hear it, who want to hear it, will and that is okay with me.
............

No comments:

Post a Comment